Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A steam train and sculptures

We got back last night from a trip to Ottawa to visit my sister. There are so many things I loved about Ontario but of course seeing my sister topped the list.

During our stay we had the opportunity to visit a little part of Ontario and Quebec. I am sure it was only the tip of the iceberg, however, of the places we visited, two places in particular left an impression.

Late Friday afternoon my sister brought us to this little village she had been talking about. While I knew I would like it because she did, I didn't expect to fall in love with this little place. It's a little village called Wakefield and it is located in Quebec. It's a little treasure, really it is. It is by no means big or fancy and it is not visible from the highway. I don't recall even seeing a street light. Upon arriving in Wakefield, it appeared the whole village had gathered on the deck of the local pub. It was so great to see. Nothing but smiling faces were to be seen. If you have any stresses entering this village, they are sure to be gone upon your departure.

We decided to stop at one of the convenience stores as J had mentioned she needed to use the washroom. Imagine the beautiful surprise when we came out of the store and a genuine steam train passed us by. For a moment I could not help but feel like I was in an episode of "Murder she wrote". No, not because of a murder but because of the setting of the village (I could imagine Jessica Fletcher and her typewriter in one of the nearby homes). I must admit my first reaction at missing the caboose was disappointment for photo reasons). I was so excited when the train crosses in front of us - back and forth. It felt as if it's sole purpose was to entertain us. I did manage to get a couple of pictures. As you can see, I was racing against the clock to get some pictures before the sun set. It was so perfect and to top it off, we were graced with a beautiful rainbow.

If you are ever in Quebec, you must add this little gem to your list of places to visit.












On Saturday we visited a few other places. We stopped along the river in Ottawa to see these sculptures. They are made each spring as the rising water in the fall/winter disassembles them. Some of them are as tall as I and others are 4-6 inches in height. It truly is amazing that the only thing balancing these rocks are little stones.



3 comments:

Cathy W said...

Awesome Pam - I love to travel and find hidden gems. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your visit!

JennC said...

If I ever go to Quebec you're coming with me ;0) It sounds beautiful!!

Kimmartha said...

Wow, beautiful pics! The train ones are stunning! Glad you had such a good time!